Online backup of your personal data is as essential as ever. A year ago I recommended Mozy for online backup, but recently its competitor Carbonite released a new version that I believe has given it an edge. I have kept 46GB of my photos, videos, and documents backed up for several months now with Carbonite.
Drawbacks to Carbonite include:
- It won’t backup USB drives.
- Backups aren’t encrypted (for those paranoiacs out there).
- After trial period you must subscribe by the year, not month-to-month like Mozy.
Drawbacks to Mozy include:
- GUI not integrated; not as easy or convenient to use.
- Many complaints heard about restore problems.
Note: For small amounts of data you may find JungleDisk more economical.